The central aims of this course are to help students/researchers in any field to:
1. acquire skills in preparing logical, clear and persuasively effective academic presentations.
2. develop confidence and competence in delivering presentations in English.
3. gain skills and confidence in communicating both within a research field and with researchers from other fields.
Most lessons include a short interactive lecture by the instructor on themes listed below, with related group or class discussions and exercises. Here is a tentative schedule:
1. Introduction: various aims and pleasures of presentations
2. Reducing nervousness, finding your main idea and significance
3. Creating logical flow, considering the audience’s knowledge and motivations
4. Effective slide design principles
5. Delivery: voice, body language, interaction with slides
6. Question time strategies and language
7-9. 1st presentations
10. Communicating at the right level for different audiences
11. Editing and delivery techniques for adapting to situations
12-14. 2nd presentations
15. Course review
* Students give 2 short presentations of 7-10 minutes using their own research or other research material.
Two presentations 40%
* Students are required to attend a minimum of 10 lessons in order to receive credits for the course.