- Browse by Category
Browse by School/
C﹡-algebraic methods in spectral theory
Serge RICHARD Professor
Department: Graduate School of Mathematics
|Class Time:||2014 Spring Friday|
|Recommended for:||Graduate school of Mathematics|
This course will provide an overview on some of the most recent tools introduced in functional analysis for the study of operators related to quantum mechanics. During the first lectures, we shall review some basics properties of bounded and unbounded operators on Hilbert spaces, and introduce the spectral theorem for self-adjoint operators. After reviewing some definitions and properties related to C*-algebras, we shall show how crossed product C*-algebras are naturally linked to generalized Schroedinger operators, and how information on these operators can be deduced from representations of these algebras. A related construction involving twisted crossed product algebras and its application for magnetic systems will then be discussed.
Self-adjoint operators, spectrum, C*-algebras, crossed product, magnetic systems.
Plan of the course
- Linear operators on a Hilbert space,
- Dynamical systems and crossed product C*-algebras,
- Schrodinger operators and essential spectrum,
- Twisted crossed product algebras,
- Pseudodifferential calculus,
- Magnetic systems.
There is no specific book related to this course. References and additional material will be provided during the lectures.
This course is open for any students at Nagoya University as one of the "open subjects" of general education.
Knowledge on standard undergraduate functional analysis.
This course will not be very technical but rather interdisciplinary.
Grades based on attendance, voluntary works and written reports.
- Title (PDF, 47KB)
- Contents (PDF, 112KB)
- Chapter 1
- Linear operators on a Hilbert space (PDF, 345KB)
- Chapter 2
- C*-algebras (PDF, 368KB)
- Chapter 3
- Crossed product C*-algebras (PDF, 351KB)
- Chapter 4
- Schroedinger operators and essential spectrum (PDF, 328KB)
- Chapter 5
- Twisted crossed product C*-algebras (PDF, 347KB)
- Chapter 6
- Pseudodifferential calculus (PDF, 262KB)
- Chapter 7
- Magnetic systems (PDF, 309KB)
- Bibliography (PDF, 142KB)
Page last updated August 8, 2014
The class contents were most recently updated on the date indicated. Please be aware that there may be some changes between the most recent year and the current page.